Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Advent Calendar Day 22

Window #22


Out with the old. . .the world is reborn on this post-Solstice day. . .  and in with the new. . . My feet can rejoice in the arrival of my new Giesswein slippers were delivered today. I've been wearing these comfy Austrian boiled wool slippers since buying them first at LL Bean decades ago. Every 4 or 5 years they give up the ghost and need replacement.

The pink pair has real sentimental value because I bought them in Venice. There were people who thought that slippers as a souvenir of Venice was an odd choice, but hey, I got to remember Venice every time I wore my slippers. The pink ones from Venice had a covering of cable knit over the boiled wool, a style I had never seen before, but I'm afraid they didn't wear quite as well as the plain old boiled wool. Today my favourite bright red Giessweins arrived, and when my navy fleece robe arrives from Beans, I will truly be ready to settle in for that long winter's night.

No comments: