Monday, December 13, 2010

Advent Calendar Day 13



Every year I agree to hostess my quilting group's potluck Christmas lunch. We call ourselves the Flying Geese because we are forever flying off to visit family in our home countries or flying off on holidays or flying off to live in some other country. The natural world of the expat is flying somewhere else.

Having a fixed date for the potluck means that I have a real deadline to get the Christmas decorations out and up for the event. Now most everything is in place, and I can enjoy having them around me for the next month. This is my Turkey Tree, a traditional nearly lost American folk art of dying turkey feathers and wrapping them around wire with tape to make the branches and stem.  Santa is by Tim Jumper, a nationally known wood carver who lives in Hingham. The sheep parade is led by hand-sewn English wool sheep from the Country Living Fair in London.

For lunch the Geese enjoyed carrot soup and deviled eggs, chicken teriyaki with rice pilaf and a festive red and green vegetable medley, apple crumble and a giant fruit salad.

Now the decorating is done and the potluck is over, so the next job is shopping, my least favourite part of the season. Fortunately, Bob loves the shopping, so most of the hard work can be left with him.

No comments: